The Perfect 5 Minute Mani'
I, like most Moms, rarely have the time to go to a nail salon and get a manicure. I often leave my nails unpainted. If I do paint them it stays on my nails so long that nothing is left but an ugly chipped blob in the centre of my nail. ( As you see in the before pic). So I decided to time myself to see how long it really does take me to give myself a decent looking mani'. I timed myself twice and both times were UNDER 5 minutes!!! I vow from this day on to dedicate 5 minutes twice a week to doing something nice for myself. Even I can spare that.
(I know the following pictures are a bit dark. This is because I waited until night when my daughter was in bed. I guess I need better lighting :P)
Here's what I started with ( Horrible I know)
but hopefully the last time I will ever have nails looking this pitiful.
but hopefully the last time I will ever have nails looking this pitiful.
Here`s my gear:
- A nail file
- 2 Quick dry polishes
- 2 Q-Tips
- Sally Hansen Polish remover
- A paper towel
Step 1) Remove old polish- I only use Sally Hansen as I find it works the fastest. I like to use papertowel to remove the polish. It's more abrasive than other paper products and I don't like the feeling of cotton pads.
Step 2) File any bumpy edges away
3) Paint away- I used Sally Hanson-Colour Quick Pen in Smoke- The quick-dry pen speeds things up . Also for the sake of reducing time, I didn't use a base coat.( This can cause the polish to leave a slight stain on your nail, so you need to weigh your options to decide if that matters to you.)
***If you don't have quick drying polishes drying your nails with a hair blower or soaking your hand in ice-water are to great ways to make your polish dry quickly.***
Step 4) Painting the tips- I used Revlon Metallic Gold- Again it dries very quickly and I love the 2 colours together. I just free-handed. Tape placed around the edges of your nail can be great to prevent any mess but can be timely to apply so again I skipped this step.
Here are my messy side (on the skin beside my nails) . I always end up with these even when I`m not short on time! lol.
Step 5) A Q-Tip and a little polish remover go a long way to fix those edges
- The Q-Tip ensures your fresh polish stays away from the remover and allows for a bit of accuracy in removing the mess.
Here`s the end result! :D

.jpg)



.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)

To be honest I usually sacrifice a few of carlys stickers to get my tips even instead of tape :)
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea! I meant the tape to cover the skin around my tips. Using sticker to get a good shape on the tips is genius!
Delete